February 17, 2026

Sharing is caring!

World football governing body FIFA is yet to deliver its verdict on the petition submitted by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), alleging that DR Congo fielded ineligible players during last November’s 2026 World Cup African play-offs.

Nigerians were kept on edge on Monday in anticipation of the ruling, as the intercontinental play-offs are scheduled to take place from March 26 to 31 in Mexico.

The Super Eagles missed out on automatic qualification during the qualifying series last year but advanced to the African play-offs, where they were eventually beaten by DR Congo on penalties.

Several unconfirmed reports circulated on Monday regarding the team’s fate, but NFF President Ibrahim Gusau said the federation was still awaiting communication from FIFA.

We are still waiting to hear from FIFA. We are hopeful, by the grace of God,” Gusau said.

DR Congo have been drawn to face the winner of the tie between New Caledonia and Jamaica for a chance to secure one of the two available World Cup slots.

As the play-offs approach, a verdict from FIFA is expected soon, with the NFF maintaining confidence in its case.

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *