August 19, 2026

Sharing is caring!

Suspected hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, leading to an exchange of gunfire between the attackers and the governor’s security personnel.

The incident, which led to panic among residents and traders in the area, reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes.

Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.

An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the governor and his entourage were received by the monarch, to whom Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return.

According to the eyewitness, trouble started shortly after the monarch had offered prayers and the meeting was coming to an end.

She said Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when the shooting began.

She said, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”

A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers might have learnt about the governor’s visit and positioned themselves to strike.

She said, “We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.

“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”

The attack caused widespread panic, with traders and residents abandoning their businesses and fleeing to safety as the gunfire continued.

Confirming the incident, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers.

He also disclosed that no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.

As of 4:45 pm, sporadic gunshots were still reportedly being heard around the area, while several business owners had hurriedly closed their shops over fears of further violence.

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *